Pink Hair, Don’t Care: Meet Quarantina
Well, we’re still in quarantine. I don’t know how you’re coping, but I’m doing everything I can to keep myself entertained and busy to prevent the darkness from creeping in. For me that means throwing myself into creative projects and transforming for fun.
It’s day 26 in my apartment as I write this, and on day 24, I had tickets to watch many of my favourite queens from Drag Race perform in Werq the World live – a streamed event broadcast around the world. It was Saturday night, and I planned to watch the show while video chatting some friends. So I decided to surprise them by showing up on Zoom in a drag look for the occasion.
I started by chopping off much of the length, because the ends were scraggly and had to go. I cut the wig into a cute little lob (long bob) with a bunch of face-framing layers to help the hair look a bit thinner and more realistic. Then I tied two sections into small pigtails with clear hair ties, and used a bright pink eyeshadow on the visible roots to give it a tiny bit of ombre.
After gluing down my real brows and concealing them, I got to work on the face, using the pink shades from my Huda Neon palette for practically the whole makeup look – my eyes, cheeks, nose contour, and even dabbed on my lips. (This is also the shadow I used on the hair!)
- Fenty Beauty matte foundation (base colour)
- It Cosmetics Bye Bye Under Eye concealer (under my eyes and concealing my real brows)
- Hourglass foundation stick (on the high points of my face)
- Kevin Aucoin Sculpting Contour Powder (to contour cheekbones/jaw/nose)
- Fenty Beauty Setting Powder in “Butter” (setting powder)
- Anastasia Beverly Hills DipBrow Pomade (to paint on new drag brows)
- Any bright white shimmering highlight you have (for the cheekbones, nose, brow bone, and anywhere you want shine)
- Huda Beauty Neon Obsessions Palette (orange or pink palette – or any hot pink shades you have)
- NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil in “Milk” (inner corners of the eyes, under the new brow, on the middle of each eyelid, and on the nose)
- The same shimmering white highlight (placed over the Milk jumbo eye pencil)
- Stila Stay All Day Liquid Liner (cat eye wing, and tiny details in the brows)
- Literally any black mascara
- Koko Lashes in “J’Adore” (but any lashes you like will work!)
- MAC lip liner in “Spice”, to reshape and over-line my lips
- Any pink or nude-pink lipstick you have, blotted
- The same hot pink eye shadow you used, dabbed on top
And that’s it! I’ve named her Quarantina, and honestly I’m reaaaaally feeling this pink hair. You never know, I may come out the other side of quarantine with a new look for real.
Thank you for reading, and I hope you’re taking care of yourself. Whether you live alone, with a partner, or your family, I know this is a really tough time for most. Hang in there, we’ll get through.
With love and a virtual hug,