My Nightly Skincare Routine
This is probably my number one most requested post. Some of you seem to think my skin is flawless, and while this is extremely flattering, it’s (unfortunately) an illusion created by the use of makeup & good lighting.
I’m fortunate enough not to suffer from cystic acne or any other skin disorder, but my skin isn’t perfect either. I have blemishes all the time!
With that said, here’s my nightly skincare routine. For reference, my skin type is normal but quite sensitive. I tend to break out easily from products, or get dried out by them, so I have to be really careful about what I put on my skin, and make sure it’s gentle.
- Yes to Cucumbers Soothing Hypoallergenic Facial Towelettes (x)
- Clean & Clear Soothing Eye Makeup Remover (Oil-Free) (x)
- Origins United State Balancing Tonic (x)
- Bobbi Brown Hydrating Eye Cream (x)
- Luxury cotton pads
- (optional) extra virgin olive or avocado oil
I do this routine every night before bed. I must (someone shamefully) admit that in the morning, all I do is splash my face with cold water and wipe it with a clean towel.
1. Since I’m normally taking off my makeup at the end of the day, the first step is using the Yes To Cucumber facial wipes to get the brunt of my makeup off. I use this all over my face and neck, but not on my eye area.
2. Using my Clean & Clear eye makeup remover on some damp cotton pads, I dissolve all the makeup on and around my eyes, including waterproof eyeliner and mascara. I’ve gone through bottles and bottles of this stuff – it’s a holy grail item for me for sure.
Using a fresh cotton pad & the same makeup remover, I do a once-over swipe of the rest of my face, just to make sure any makeup the facial wipes left behind gets taken off. Then I rinse with cold water and scrub any residue off with a towel.
3. By this point, my skin is clean of makeup, but it’s also stripped of all its natural oils, so the equilibrium needs to be reset. For this, I use my Origins balancing tonic, which restores my skin’s pH to natural, balanced levels. It also contains exfoliators which smooth the skin and clears out pores. The soy protein in it works to protect moisture levels, so this toner doesn’t dry out skin.
I usually don’t feel like I need to moisturize my face afterwards, but if my skin is needing some extra lovin’, I’ll massage in a bit of extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil, which are all-natural and work wonders on the skin overnight.
5. As a final step, I use a pea-size amount of my Bobbi Brown hydrating eye cream on the delicate skin under my eyes and on my eyelids, to moisturize and protect from fine lines forming. This stuff is expensive, but I really do feel that it makes a difference on my dark circles and leaves my eye area feeling plump and healthy.
This routine works for me, and my particular skin type. It may or may not work exactly the same for your skin, but I definitely recommend the Clean & Clear soothing eye makeup remover and the Bobbi Brown eye cream.
What’s your #1 holy grail skin product? Leave me a comment letting me know! x